Wednesday, October 31, 2007

(GOP) State Rep. Curtis resigns amid sex scandal

OLYMPIA, Wash. — State Rep. Richard Curtis, R-La Center, has resigned his seat amid revelations of a sex scandal in Spokane.

House Republican Leader Richard DeBolt released a statement saying: “I am very disappointed by the news reports of the conduct by Rep. Curtis last week in Spokane. After discussing this matter with House Republican leaders, he has submitted his resignation, which we feel is best for everyone involved. The troubling details continue to emerge, however, it has become clear that he can no longer effectively represent the constituents who elected him. We pray that Richard and his family have the strength and support they need to meet the personal challenges they face.”

Curtis issued his own statement: “Today I submitted my letter of resignation to Gov. Gregoire effective immediately. While I believe we've done some good and helped a lot of people during the time I served in the Legislature, events that have recently come to light have hurt a lot of people. I sincerely apologize for any pain my actions may have caused.

“This has been damaging to my family, and I don't want to subject them to any additional pain that might result from carrying out this matter under the scrutiny that comes with holding public office.”

No comments: