This week, thousands of activists across the country are calling members Congress, attending rallies and spreading the message in their communities that the Constitution is not negotiable. The time has come to beat back the Bush administration's assault on law and justice.
In this issue:
1. National Day of Action: Tell Congress to Restore Habeas Corpus
2. Don't Miss Tonight's Premiere of Dan Rather Reports: The Constitution in Question
3. Hope for Fair 2008 Elections Renewed with House Passage of Deceptive Practices Legislation
4. Supreme Court Slams Courthouse Doors Shut on Taxpayers in Religious Liberty Case
5. Will Southwick Committee Vote Be Postponed Again?
National Day of Action: Tell Congress to Restore Habeas Corpus
Today, thousands of activists are rallying on Capitol Hill and visiting with their members of Congress as part of a Day of Action to Restore Law and Justice. The goal is to get Congress to act fast on several pieces of pending legislation that would undo parts of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, a law that drastically undermines core American values pertaining to due process protections and basic civil rights.
Whether or not you already signed our petition to restore habeas corpus, please make sure your members of Congress hear from you personally. Call today and let them know Americans will not tolerate torture and secret prisons, and tell them to fully restore habeas corpus.