Friday, September 22, 2006

Florida group successfully forms first pizza drivers union

PENSACOLA, Fla. - Domino's Pizza delivery driver Jim Pohle could have quit when he saw a competitor offering an extra 25 cents an hour in wages and his bosses wouldn't match it. But he decided instead to stand up and form the nation's only pizza drivers union to successfully organize workers.

Now he represents 11 drivers as president of the American Union of Pizza Delivery Drivers Inc. at the franchise where he has worked off and on for more than a dozen years. Experts say he has created a model for fast food workers wanting to organize in other locations.

"When they declared us tipped employees and refused to pay us the Florida minimum wage of $6.40, I was kind of angry. I came home that night and I told my buddy, I said 'We are forming a union,'" he said. ...

No comments: