Friday, July 29, 2005

CA Sec'y Of State: Diebold 10% failure rate "not good enough for voters"

State rejects e-voting systemCounties scramble to replace Diebold machines

After possibly the most extensive testing ever on a voting system, California has rejected Diebold's flagship electronic voting machine because of printer jams and screen freezes, sending local elections officials scrambling for other means of voting.

"There was a failure rate of about 10 percent, and that's not good enough for the voters of California and not good enough for me," said Secretary of State Bruce McPherson.

If the machines had been used in an actual election, the result could have been frustrated poll workers and long lines for thousands of voters, said elections officials and voter advocates on Thursday. "We certainly can't take any kind of risk like that with this kind of device on California voters," McPherson said. Rejection of the TSx by California, the nation's largest voting system market, could influence local elections officials from Utah to Mississippi and Ohio, home of Diebold corporate headquarters, where dozens of counties are poised to purchase the latest Diebold touchscreen.

State elections officials in Ohio say they still have confidence in the machines.

4 comments:

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Excellent blog.  I go though the web in search of
blogs like this one. Its so good, that I plan on
returning to its site!
Please consider looking at my pharmacy staffing
blog.

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Captivate blog. I surf the web for blogs this
nature.The site are wonderful and will be returned to
again!
I will give you access to jump to my michigan jobs
blog.

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Extraordinary blog. Your site was hip and fresh
and we'll visit it again! I love surfing the internet
for blogs.
Stop by and look at my pharmacy staffing
blog site.

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Cool blog. I dig your site outline and I plan on
returning again! I just love finding blogs like this
when I have the time.
Please proceed to my michigan staffing
blog when you find the time.