Friday, March 28, 2014

White House touts ‘Fox News addict’ who loves ObamaCare

THE HILL

The White House on Friday touted the story of a “staunch Republican” who says he’s getting the best coverage he’s ever had under ObamaCare.

“I am a staunch Republican, a self-proclaimed Fox News addict, and I didn't vote for the President,” Mark Beard, a retired psychologist from North Carolina, wrote in a letter posted on the White House website. “And I'm here to tell you that ObamaCare works. I'm living proof.”

Beard said he was paying $428 a month for chemotherapy treatment and was upset when he got a notice from his insurer saying his plan would be canceled. But he said the plan he obtained through HealthCare.gov is now only costing him $62 a month.
“It's the best health care I have ever had,” he said.

“I may not be a supporter of the President. But now, I get mad when I see ObamaCare dragged through the mud on television,” he continued. “And even though I regularly tune in to conservative pundits, I'd like to tell them they're getting it wrong. ObamaCare works.”

Republicans and Democrats have been seeking to personalize their positions on the healthcare law by advertising anecdotal accounts of those who have been negatively or positively impacted by the law.

The parties have clashed over some campaign ads, most prominently an ad from the conservative group Americans For Prosperity that featured a woman who says she lost her preferred health insurance plan because of ObamaCare.

Democrats say the woman ended up saving money on her new plan, but Republicans shot back, accusing them of attacking a private citizen who suffers from cancer.


No comments: