Friday, August 10, 2007

Rudy Recants One 9/11 lie -- Five More To Go

Village Voice

When the heat got to be too much on Friday, Rudy Giuliani backpedaled from the claim that he was at Ground Zero as much, if not more, than the 9/11 rescue and recovery workers.

"I think I could have said it better," he told nationally syndicated radio host Mike Gallagher, the Associated Press reported on Friday. "You know, what I was saying was, 'I'm there with you.'"

This is what Rudy in to trouble on the campaign trail in Cincinnati in the first place:

"This is not a mayor or a governor or a president who's sitting in an ivory tower," he said. "I was at ground zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers. ... I was there working with them. I was exposed to exactly the same things they were exposed to. So in that sense, I'm one of them."

But what about the rest of the falsehoods and hyperbole that comprise the foundation of Giuliani's candidacy? The Voice's Wayne Barrett took a look at those claims this week in article that The New Republic says "absolutely devastates Rudy Giuliani's claims about fighting terrorism."

The New Republic's Jonathan Chait goes on to say "I'm shocked this article has not received more attention. Using deep reporting, it simply takes Giuliani's claims apart piece by piece. If the facts in this article were absorbed by the public, or even campaign journalists, Giuliani's presidential campaign would be over."....

No comments: