Monday, March 09, 2009

Meghan McCain: Ann Coulter is ‘offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing.’

THINK PROGRESS

In a column for the Daily Beast today, Meghan McCain, Sen. John McCain’s (R-AZ) daughter, attacks Ann Coulter as a potent symbol for why the Republican Party struggles to attract younger voters, slamming her for “perpetuat[ing] negative stereotypes about Republicans”:

To make matters worse, certain individuals continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes about Republicans. Especially Republican women. Who do I feel is the biggest culprit? Ann Coulter. I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity. I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time. […]

More so than my ideological differences with Ann Coulter, I don’t like her demeanor. I have never been a person who was attracted to hate or negativity. … Everything about her is extreme: her voice, her interview tactics, and especially the public statements she makes about liberals. Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck.

McCain writes, “[I]f figureheads like Ann Coulter are turning me off, then they are definitely turning off other members of my generation as well.”

No comments: